Thursday, January 8, 2015

Handshakes and Please

Adama was telling me about a student in his class yesterday. This student could hardly be convinced that a sentence with a "Please" could be an imperative sentence.  Adama, realizing this was a misconception fostered by culture, explained to her that in Burkina, a command is usually very demanding, while this is considered impolite in some other cultures.  The student was having trouble grasping that a command could possibly be polite!
I think I can honestly say that NEVER ONCE since coming to Burkina have I heard "Si'l vous plait."  It felt strange to say when I tried it. 
There is a different way of being polite in Burkinabe culture.  That would be greetings.  It is as strange to pass a stranger without saying Good day as it is strange in America to pass a stranger and say anything at all.  And it is appreciated when you say it with gusto! 
At any gathering or visit, if you cannot shake hands, you apologize sincerely.  If you're eating and your hands are dirty, you offer your wrist. 
Last month I led the English club at the American Embassy.  The American woman who normally teaches the club was absent but gave me all the materials to lead discussion about "fist bumps."  We were to read an article "Fist Bumps More Hygienic Than Handshakes."  We got some discussion going.  One guy in particular was a very avid defender of handshakes.  I think that if the rest of the class hadn't been asked to defend other types of greetings, they would have expressed the same sentiments.  Handshakes represent respect, acknowledgement, and connection.  It was conceded that fist bumps could be an alternative with the threat of Ebola. (Ha, that's what their usual American teacher mentioned they could talk about.) Someone said then that Ebola must aim at killing the culture. 
 One interesting type of handshake here that I haven't seen elsewhere is the familiar handshake with friends.  You shake, and as you're leaving the handshake, you snap your fingers off the other person's fingers.  Some people have tried it on me, but I haven't acquired the talent yet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment