Friday, March 13, 2015

Guonray

       We tried to come up with a spelling that you might read somewhat close to how it sounds!  Plus, we don't know how to spell in Moore. 
       Anyway, this guonray was a gift from our neighbors.  They rang the doorbell at 1:30 in the afternoon and gave us a plate of still-hot guonray.  When I returned the plate the next morning, my neighbor told me how they made them.
    Beans are soaked, then taken to the grinder.  (I clarified that today when we were walking together and we passed the grinding place that's just down the road.)  The ground beans make a sort of "pie" that is made to stick together with the addition of okra powder.  This pie is put into round containers and steamed over boiling water.  Then the steamed guonray is cut in slices. 
     You can see in the picture that they served the guonray with fried onions and salt.  They were pretty good, and my neighbor promised to invite me to get in on the cooking next time she makes them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment